Monday, February 10, 2014

Marcus Smart's Not So Smart Decision

Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart has been suspended for three games for shoving a Texas Tech fan during their 65-61 loss Saturday night.

Smart was running down the court to try and block a Texas Tech fast break shot and tumbled into the media/photographers surrounding the court. While getting up a Tech fan by the name of Jeff Orr had said some insulting words to the 20-year old sophomore. Smart decided to make an not so smart decision and got into the fans face, they exchanged a couple words and then Smart pushed the fan to the entire arena's disbelief.

He was given a technical foul but was not ejected, although once he was placed on the bench he stayed their for the remainder of the game.

The suspension couldn't have came at a worse time for the Oklahoma State Cowboys who are currently on a four game losing streak and lost five of their last six after starting the season 15-2. Oddly enough Smart's first game back will come against Texas Tech, only this time the game will take place at the Gallagher-Iba Arena, home of the Cowboys.

Smart has came out to say that the fan had called him a racial slur, which is what instigated the altercation. The fan, Orr, has came out to say that he did not refer to the guard with a racial slur but he did confirm he had harassed the 20-year old, calling him a "Piece of crap".

Smart will now have to serve a 3-game suspension because of his actions, handed down to him by the Big 12 conference. The Texas Tech fan has also decided to not attend anymore games for the remainder of the season.

Smart has since apologized for his actions in a press conference aired on ESPN saying, "I want to apologize to the fan, whose name is Jeff Orr. I want to apologize to him. I want to apologize to my teammates, to my coaching staff, Coach Ford, my family, Oklahoma State University. This is not how I [conduct] myself, this is not how this program is ran. This is not how I was raised. I let my emotions get the best of me." 

"I Just can't let that happen again. This is a lesson I'll have to learn from. The consequences that are coming with it, I'm taking full responsibility. No finger pointing. This is all upon me."

"I just want to really apologize to those that are very important to me. I feel like I let my teammates down. These guys mean a lot to me. Not to be able to be out there with them, it hits me in my heart. I have a lot of people that look up to me, a lot of little kids, so once again, I truly apologize. This is not me. I really do apologize for it. Like I said, I take full responsibility and the consequences that come with it."

The action was just another on the list of behavioral issues Smart has been going thru this season. Smart also had an incident where he was upset about a 4-point performance and decided to kick a chair and has also been referred to as a flopper because of some of his recent games.

This may have an effect on his draft stock. He is currently projected as a lottery pick which is a top-10 pick in the NBA Draft, which takes place this June, and some scouting experts around the NBA still believe this incident won't change his draft projection. Not everyone in the NBA believes that with some GM's around the league saying that this will have an ill-effect because most of the things they liked about Smart were his intangibles and with this is considered an intangible, should no doubt effect his stock.

My opinion on the matter is simple, Smart made a not so smart decision. Whether the fan had used a racial slur or not, when you are a student athlete you have to live up to standards that the rest of us do not have to live up to. I believe the fan in this situation was terribly wrong for whatever it was he said and should be punished to the most extreme extent. That was a kid he was saying all these profanity's to and that is uncalled for in any situation.

The fan, Jeff Orr, has had incidents similar to this in past. Current Utah Jazz guard, John Lucas III, has came out to say that even when he was playing in college, 2001-05, Orr would harass him and his teammates when they played against Texas Tech. Former Texas A&M forward Bryan Davis has also said he was harassed by the same fan during his time at A&M during the 2010 season and there is even video of one of those incidents below.

Check it out for yourself -


I believe this fan should no longer be allowed to attend any more college games. This is a 40-year old man who is a season ticket holder for Texas Tech and feels its right to call these kids outside of their name. I don't think Smart should have escalated the situation and is in the wrong for his part, but I do understand how it erupted in the fashion it did.

I hope Smart can learn from this mistake and learn to be the bigger man when situations like this arise. He will still be highly touted once the draft season begins but this could potentially have an ill-effect on the money he could have made.

Smart will still be able to make it back in time for Oklahoma State to make a run in the NCAA Tournament coming up next month and that should have the final say on where he will be drafted.

Follow me on Twitter - @therealrikrok89
I hope you enjoyed my posts because I enjoy writing them. 
Thank you for reading and come back for more Sports News & Analysis.
Share it, Like it, Tweet it, Vine it, Instagram, whatever social networking tool you use, spread the word so everyone else has the opportunity to bask in all of this Sports Stats and News!

No comments:

Post a Comment