Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Seattle is 12th Man Strong During Super Bowl Week

The Seattle Seahawks 12th Man have overtook the state leading up to Super Bowl XLVIII.

I am a Washingtonian and I was recently out of the country to visit family, so I was unable to catch the conference championship games during my trip.

So while the rest of you got to watch what I have heard was one of the most intense games of the season, I was in the middle of Oaxaca, Mexico with my phone on a windowsill (the only place I could get service) waiting for my usual Seahawk ESPN updates.

The first update came across my screen about a Russell Wilson fumble inside his own 20-yard line and I began to get a little nervous feeling in my stomach. The fact that they were only able to convert that into a field goal gave me the confidence that our defense was not going to let things get out of hand.

I only received the rest of the updates about scoring plays so besides that I had no clue how the game was actually playing out. My friends and family were messaging me as well, but they must not have understood how I needed to know every play happening, and were only saying things like how tough of a game it has been, nothing real juicy.
Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
Once I got the message about Marshawn Lynch's 40-yard TD run I knew things were going to turn around. I still have yet to see the game (I'll be catching it before Super Bowl somehow) so I do not know what exactly happened, but when the Seahawks went up 23-17 with only 3:37 left in the game, I knew it would be up to the defense to seal the win.

Then, I received a message from a friend that read, "SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!".

At that moment I started jumping and screaming around my dad's house and my dad asked me "Whats going on Ricky?" and I told him, "Dad, the Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl!". Now my dad does not follow the Seattle Seahawks, or the NFL for that matter, but the emotions quickly spread to him as we cheered for the Hawks for the rest of the evening while he explained to the rest of the family why I was acting like a mad man.

I could not wait to get home and see what the reaction was in my home state.

Now when I left there was a strong presence of Seahawk fandom throughout the entire state and you could run into a 12th man flag just about everywhere, but the way the state has erupted since I returned is incredible.

The moment my plane landed in Sea-Tac International airport is when it hit me, the Seahawks were actually going to the Super Bowl. I walked off the plane and the scenery was 12th man flags and Seahawks balloons filling the terminals as far as you could see.

Leaving the airport was the same thing as you saw cars with Seahawk decals along the side and "NFC Champions" flags along on every other car on the road.

The city has erupted with love for our Seattle Seahawks, from raising a 12th man flag on top of the Space Needle to $12 tattoo specials for a 12th Man logo.
Sending the Seahawks off was no different, when at least 30,000 of the 12th Man's finest filled the streets to get one last chance to cheer on their team. People were hanging outside apartment windows, they filled the streets from beginning to end and even cheered from the overpasses above. Some fans even went as far as to take a boat out to their practice facility early that morning with the phrase "GO HAWKS" on a sign, which is almost used as hello and goodbye around these parts nowadays. It was a sight to see.

Fans have signed a huge 12th Man flag that was raised above the Space Needle and have sent it off to New Jersey for the players to know that although most of the fans will be unable to attend this extraordinary event, the 12th Man is with them.

The entire state will be riding with the Seahawks this whole week up until the team returns, win or lose, because that is the passion we all share, from the coaches to the players, and of course the fans; better known as the 12th Man.

I can only imagine the energy of this beautiful state come Super Bowl Sunday and can't wait for the Seahawks to bring the Lombardi Trophy to Seattle for the first time.
#GOHAWKS!

Also check out my Preview and Predictions for Super Bowl XLVIII


Follow me on Twitter - @therealrikrok89
I am also a writer on another sports website, SportsPassion.net - Go check out some of my writings there as well. 

I hope you enjoyed my posts because I enjoy writing them. 
Thank you for reading and come back for more Sports News & Analysis.
Share it, Like it, Tweet it, Vine it, Instagram, whatever social networking tool you use, spread the word so everyone else has the opportunity to bask in all of this Sports Stats and News!

No comments:

Post a Comment